Monday, November 7, 2011

Winterizing Tips Pt 1

Well folks, Winter is a coming. We've had snow in some parts of the country already. It's still fairly nice during the day, but nights are getting chilly. I've already rotated out most of the kids' lighter pjs, preferring the nice warm fleece ones instead. Everyone has a different idea of what the ideal winter temperature is for a house, but no matter what the thermostat says, there are simple ways we can all save energy and money this winter.
I found an excellent slideshow here with ideas to keep a little more money in your pocket. It features both easy and cheap fixes, and more expensive fixes, should your place need them.

My favorite ideas: 1) the draft snake/ draft blocker. When we lived in Utah, we had the breeziest front door imaginable! It was definitely not draft proof. Our storm door helped a lot, but we could have used one of these on those super chilly windy nights. Of course, the kids or the dogs would probably have thought they were toys.
2) Run the fan in reverse. I think what the article is missing is the fact that the fan should be on LOW speed when you do this. Otherwise, it creates a mighty big draft, which probably negates any extra warmth you might feel.
3) Wear a sweater. Only in our house, it's a blanket. I'm often found snuggled under a blanket in the evenings. It's easier than turning the heat up and I don't have to remember to turn the heat back down when I go to bed.

One other tip that I think is helpful for fighting a chilly house- space heaters. We use them in both of our childrens' rooms at night. We can keep their bedrooms warmer, like they prefer, and the rest of the house cooler, which we prefer. I've also been known to crank up the heater in the bathroom during a shower or under my desk while sewing at night. Just be sure that you practice space heater safety- buy the cool touch kind that don't get hot enough to burn skin, and get one with a safety button that shuts it off if it gets knocked over. (My daughter had a criss-cross pattern on her arm for a while when she was about 9 months old. I could not figure out what it was. It looked like scratches. A few days later, I saw her touch the space heater in her bedroom. We went out and bought a new one right away.) Also, we prefer the kind with a thermostat, not just an on/off switch, so that it only cycles on when needed, also saving energy.

If you have any major winterizing needs- new windows, new furnace, etc- call us and we can help you get a nice cozy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment